Re-Roofing: What Does It Mean?
One of the greatest investments you can make in your house is a good roof, and if you do it right, you’ll get one of the best returns. Homeowners are aware of the need of maintaining a sturdy roof for both the security and resale value of their properties. It’s critical to understand whether re-roofing is the best choice when determining whether you need a new roof. What does “re-roofing” actually mean?
Re-roofing is the process of updating or replacing a building’s roof. Re-roofing has two basic techniques: roof overlay and tear-off.
- The roof overlay method, which involves stacking fresh shingles on top of old ones, is a one-time procedure, therefore it is not viable for houses with many layers of roofs. If your roof is generally in excellent condition and doesn’t have any missing or wet shingles or significant water damage, this method is a fantastic alternative. Roof overlay typically costs less than the other method. Nevertheless, it is not always the best option, and you should take into account your roof’s material, the number of floors you have, its inclination, the age of your house, and your existing roof.
- The roof tear-off method entails your roofing company removing, yes, tearing off, your current roof and installing a brand-new one in its place. This kind of reroofing will last a lot longer than an overlay, totally replace any leaks or damaged decking in your roof, and increase the value of your house when you decide to sell it. This approach, however, is frequently more pricey but is always considered a smart investment.
If you’re unsure of the best course of action for your roof, speak with a reliable roofer in the Santa Cruz area to explore your options.
What Steps Are Taken In Re-Roofing?
To ensure that the reroofing of your home goes well, a professional roofing company that is dedicated to providing great, high-quality service will carry out the following procedures.
- Initial preparations – Your old roof, gutters, and the roof itself will be examined, measured, and carefully inspected by the roofers. As a result, they will be able to accurately estimate the cost for you and suggest several roofing types and features that would work best for your house. You have a chance to communicate with them at this stage to make sure they understand your particular needs and desires for your new roof.
- Readying the installation – Typically, roofers put up the essential technical roofing equipment in a coordinated and effective manner before beginning the re-roofing procedure. The establishment of all safety measures comes next. Finally, the roofers will meticulously remove and clean your roof and the space around it to create the best possible working conditions.
- Doing the re-roofing – The roofers will do the re-roofing with tight quality management to assure the best possible outcome, following thorough planning with the homeowner and consideration of whether it’s preferable to undertake an overlay or a tear-off.
- Final inspection – Following the re-roofing, the roofers will examine your roof to make sure it will continue to be secure for many years.
Tear-off & Overlay Methods: Benefits & Drawbacks
It could be time for a roof replacement if your roof is starting to show symptoms of aging or damage. It may seem a pricey undertaking, but it is essential to complete the project as quickly as possible and in a professional manner. So, which roof replacement choice is best for your home? Let’s look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of each strategy to help you decide.
- Complete replacement. When you choose a tear-off roof, you will get a brand-new roof. The final result will be flawless since all roofing issues will be addressed and remedied.
- Your home’s worth will increase. Do you intend to sell your house soon? A brand-new tear-off roof is a fantastic selling factor and may significantly increase the market value of your house.
- Better quality will be experienced. Your roofer will be able to fix high-risk areas since the entire roof will be rebuilt. Your property will be waterproof for many years if they even install fresh flashing.
- It will be more durable. A tear-off roof will endure greater than an overlay roof. This is mostly caused by the fact that a new roof will absorb less heat than one with numerous layers.
- A tear-off roof’s primary drawback is that it is the more expensive choice. Nonetheless, the extra cost is well worth it if your objective is to have a roof that you won’t have to be concerned about for the next few decades.
- Faster turnaround time. Overlay roofing may be finished faster since they need less effort. This is excellent if you need a new roof right once or want to minimize interruption to your daily routine.
- It is less expensive. It doesn’t take as much work to just put more shingles than it would to first remove them. As a result, overlay roofs have substantially reduced labor expenses.
- Leaks are more challenging to locate. With several roof levels, it will be more challenging to locate a leak if one occurs on your new roof. Water can even penetrate between layers and then obstruct another area, making repairs a difficult task.
- It increases the heaviness. You are physically covering your house with another roof. This might compromise the structural stability of your house if it’s an older model or has other problems.
- It can only be overlaid once. You should be aware that you may only select this option if your home’s roof has never been previously overlaid. More than two layers of shingles cannot be supported on your roof.
- It’s not going to last long. In general, shingles laid over previous shingles won’t survive as long. And when you do need to replace them, you’ll have to spend the extra time and energy on removing two layers rather than just one.
Selecting a Trustworthy Re-Roofing Company in the Santa Cruz Area
It could be time to spend money on a re-roofing if the roof on your home is starting to look a bit worn out. It’s crucial to have your reroofing job done properly since it represents such a significant investment in the safety of your house and family. Make Redwood Roofing & Repair your first contact regardless of which roofing choice you pick. Your home in Aptos, CA will receive a free expert examination and honest evaluation from us prior to any action being taken. We’ll then begin putting in the brand-new roof you’ve been looking for. You only need to sit back, unwind, and take pleasure in your home’s improved security and beauty. Call us at 831-888-7790 if you would like further details.